During the second term of our school year, Saint Patrick’s Primary School and Nursery have undertaken the challenge of walking / running a mile a day, 14 laps of the convent yard to be exact. The aim of the Daily Mile initiative is to improve the physical, emotional and social health and wellbeing of our children – regardless of age or personal circumstances. It is a profoundly simple but effective concept. Its impact can improve not only the childrens’ fitness, but also their concentration levels, mood, behaviour and general wellbeing.
The Daily Mile has proven successful as:
1. It takes place over just 15 minutes, with children averaging a mile each day.
2. Children get to walk or run outside in the fresh air.
3. There’s no set up, tidy up, or equipment required.
4. Children run or walk in their uniforms so no changing time is needed.
5. It’s social, non-competitive and fun.
6. It’s fully inclusive; every child, whatever their circumstances, age or ability, succeeds at The Daily Mile.